Emergency planning has a long history in the Kanawha Valley. Originally called the Kanawha Valley Industrial Emergency Planning Council, the organization was formed in 1952 by chemical facilities and the West Virginia State Police. Their objective was to develop mutual response programs for fighting fires and chemical leaks at the facilities.
In 1985 the name was changed to the Kanawha Valley Emergency Planning Council to allow non-industry groups to join the organization. To stress the importance of emergency preparedness, the name was changed to the Kanawha Valley Emergency Preparedness Council (KVEPC) in 1989.
The Kanawha/Putnam Local Emergency Planning Committee (KPLEPC) was formed in September 1987 by the West Virginia Emergency Response Commission (WVERC) upon nomination by the two counties. The WVERC established the KPLEPC to comply with the requirements of Emergency Planning and Community Right-To-Know Act (EPCRA).
The Kanawha Putnam Emergency Planning Committee (KPEPC) was formed in 1995 by combining the Kanawha Valley Emergency Preparedness Council and the Kanawha/Putnam Local Emergency Planning Committee.